Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Work

First day at work was really, really boring. I was suppose to go into the office at 9.30am, thus I left home around 8.10am for fear of a traffic jam at the Penang bridge. Surprisingly, traffic was smooth going and before I knew it, I've already reached Penang around 8.40am. Remembering the conversation I had the day before with my uncle, I knew that there wouldn't be anybody in the office until 9.00am. Not knowing where to go, I drove straight to my uncle's house which was nearby and we went for breakfast together at Chef&Brew (p.s. there's a Chef&Brew outlet in Alamanda Putrajaya too). SO, instead of turning up at the office at 9.30am, my uncle, his senior finance manager (who joined us for breakfast too) and I only went into the office after 10.00am. =P Not very good impression I admit, and it sort of shows the staff there that I have good relations with the boss (which was kinda true considering that I'm the boss' niece). But still...oh well!

Anyway, I was filling in forms and had to wait for a Mr Ong to take me to Public Bank to open an account there cause there's where the company's gonna deposit my salary. When I finally got back to the office for some serious stuff, it was already near to noon. Mr Leong, the senior finance manager, put me under a girl to learn my way through the computer and accounts because she's leaving soon and I'll have to take over her job. I sense some dread in Mr Leong though and I don't blame him or any of the staff either. Imagine putting the company's accounts in the hands of somebody who know nothing about accounts! *sigh* The rest of the day were spent looking at how stuff are done in the office and getting to know my senior. =)

Thank goodness I finally have something to do today. Even though it was only data entry, and salary summary report, it was better than nothing like yesterday. However, doing data entry and the summary report was rather boring. The summary report had to be done using Microsoft Excel and frankly, I'm not much of an Excel user and had to learn things slowly. I didn't like asking Mr Ong questions how to go about doing it cause he showed me a couple of times, even though he wasn't really good at explaining to me. And I rather learn things myself by going about trying to get things done. If there were any mistakes done, I could always undo them. I know, I know, wrong of me to do so, but I could sense some frustration in Mr Ong cause I've already asked him to solve some problems far too often. =P

Halfway through the report, I was asked by Mr Leong to help some of the technicians to write a letter to a company asking for permits. And I'm glad to say that I did write a pretty good letter for them. hehe...at least I'm putting my skills and techniques I've learned in the semester to good use. I didn't get a Distinction in Writing for Professional Purposes without talent you know..haha...boy, do I sound smug there! Frankly, I'm just happy to help them out. It was more my thing.

Well, the day ended pretty ok albeit a little tiring. Facing the computer the whole entire day is no mean feat, no matter how much I like to face the computer when going online. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll be given more work to do, then, at least I wouldn't feel guilty of not doing anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home