Wednesday, August 11, 2004

My 21st Birthday

So far, so good despite all the lamenting and depression I went through yesterday afternoon. Things got better when one of my friends staying in the hostel came up to my apartment and came into my room to talk to me and my roommate. She informed us of my ex-housemates birthday and casually asked me if it's my birthday tomorrow(today). When I said yes, my roommate gave a surprised yelp because I didn't say anything about it plus she just moved in a couple of weeks ago.

My roommate(who incidentally has a loud voice despite her petite size) proceeded to go out to the living room where everybody were lounging and announced that it will be my birthday from 12am onwards that night. We actually planned to go for lunch in 1 Utama today but we had to cancelled it because Denise, my housemate, messaged me and said that she and my roommate had to attend some kind of briefing which is compulsory. Surprisingly, I'm not disappointed or anything because they've already given me hugs last night at the stroke of midnight.

So far, I'd gotten 4 Birthday phone calls, 5 hugs from my housemates and friends and a huge birthday present from Ai Ling, Carven, Chip Hui and Rachel. I will not open it til tonight but I'm very happy and touched that they remember my birthday. =D Received a lot of Birthday messages from friends since 12 last night. I think I'll continue receiving them til tonight because knowing one of my best friends, it's her style to call and wish or message a minute before birthday ends to wish Happy Birthday. We'll see how it turns out.

Going for dinner with Andrew tonight. He sort of promise me to buy me dinner on my Birthday if my bf's not around or couldn't make it down to KL to celebrate it with me. I didn't think he would be serious about it, but he meant every word that he said when he promised me.

This year's Birthday is really different from the past years that I'd celebrated mine. Even though there's no cake whatsoever, I'm not disappointed because what's most important to me is that my friends remember this special day of mine. I hope nothing will jinx it for the rest of the day for me. I'll come back later or tomorrow to edit this about how the dinner went.

[Edit: 12/08/2004, 10.40am] First things first. The present that Ai Ling, Chip Hui, Carven and Rachel gave me also came from Mei Ling and Clare. The present came in the form of a mama piggy with 3 piglets stick to its side. LoL. Quite appropriate for me since I'm using Piggymama eh? I had something from Aaron and Josephine too. It was quite a shock to me since we've only known each other for a couple of weeks and they only found out that it was my birthday when Chip and gang gave me the present yesterday morning. When they went to 1 Utama for lunch, they went and bought a cow baby beanie for me. And frankly, I LOVE it! I've been meaning to get myself a baby beanie for ages now but never did bought one cause it's a little too dear for me to get one and I love my $$ a lot. Keke.....

Anyway, Andrew had to cancel dinner with me last night because he had church practise that he couldn't escape. So instead, I asked my housemates if they want to have dinner with me instead considering our initial plan to have lunch together didn't work out. Ended up, my housemate, Denise, my roommate, Chai Wei and our friend, Janna went to 1 Utama for dinner. We were walking aimlessly around 1U for half an hour or so before deciding on having dinner at Pizza Hut. I wanted to have dinner at Fish&Co. but it was too expensive for Janna. So, we decided to go for Japanese but it turns out to be Non-Halal and Janna is a Muslim. Finally, Denise suggested Pizza and off we went to Pizza Hut. It was quite a walk because all of us were in the new wing and had to walk all the way back to the old wing for pizza.

Halfway through, Denise stopped in her tracks and said she need to buy newspapers. Chai Wei said she need to buy groceries. Hence, Janna and I went ahead to Pizza Hut to get us a place and place our order first just in case there's a big dinner crowd there. When Denise and Chai Wei finally arrived, the food has already arrived and we were tucking in pizza when Denise suddenly said, "Hey, put the pizza at the next table. Quick!" I was shocked and thought to myself, "What the heck is going on here?" when Denise produce a cake from under the table with a flourish, "Ta-da, Happy Birthday!" It was a lovely surprise. I did not see any cake when they walked in and she manage to somehow keep it out of my view until the last moment. Keke....I never expected to have a birthday cake this year. We took some pictures using Chai Wei's Nokia phone and before I blew off the candles, Denise sang the birthday song for me. When I said Denise, it's really Denise alone. Janna and Chai Wei were too embarrassed because everybody from surrounding tables turned to stare when Denise sang at the top of her voice. Keke....But I admire her courage and thoughtfulness to make it so special for me. Anyway, towards the end of the dinner, there were half a pizza left and 2/3 of a cake left. We were all too stuffed to eat anymore. Thus, all the taking away needed to be done. When I reach home, I was exhausted BUT happy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home