Wednesday, August 04, 2004

A Lovely Surprise

What a lovely surprised I had yesterday! I was taking a nap when I got back from class in the evening around 5pm because of a terrible headache when I received a sms from my Mum. I ignored the sms and continued napping and finally read it when I woke up around 7. Mum said my friend from Singapore had sent me a package and asked me if I want her to open it so that I would know what it contains. When I saw that message, I felt a jolt of surprise because my friend and I had not written snail mails or emails to each other for quite a while now. Basically, the fault was mine because I was just way too busy to write and whenever I’m free, I’m just too lazy to sit down and write because all I want to do then is to relax. However, whenever I do online to chat and he’s online too, we’ll chat like we always do which involves a lot of insulting and sarcastic comments. It’s just the way we were. Ever since I got to know him when I was 16 or 17, we’d always chat like that although there were times when he was a really sweet person whenever I’m moody or feeling down. By the way, I’d known him nearly 4 to 5 years now. Hehe…I’m turning 21 next week! *hint hint*

Back to my story, I replied my Mum’s sms and ask her to open the package and let me know what it contains so that I could thank my friend properly. Mum finally called back after I sent my reply hours ago and proceed to tell me what he sent. It was quite a huge aromatherapy candle that stands at about 3 inch wide and a diameter of 2 ½-3 inches. It’s contained in a metal case. I don’t know what type of fragrance it is because I forgot to ask my Mum and she forgot to tell me. According to my Mum, the candle is quite big by itself but my friend sent it in a very, very big box. 2 times the size of a normal shoe box. A candle and a hand made birthday card in a huge shoe box. My Mum found the box hilarious because the candle and the card both did not require a big box, yet she was sort of horrified at the postal that he paid. More than $7 Singapore dollars.

Frankly, I find the whole incident to be very sweet. My friend is such a thoughtful person. Not to mention, sweet as well. And I’ve been mean to him so often. =P Plus, I couldn’t even remember the exact date of his birthday except that it was somewhere in May. And according to my Mum, he even made the card himself. Awww! It really made my day because I’ve been a little broody for the past few days. As my birthday looms nearer, I get broodier each day. Usually, people tend to get happier each day when their birthday comes nearer but I just had to be the opposite. One of the reasons for my being broody is the absence of my bf this birthday. For the past 3 and a half years that we’re together, he’s never missed one single birthday of mine, never failing to celebrate it with me. This time round, especially one the most special and significant birthday one could ever had, he couldn’t be around because he’s now based in Penang while I’m still in KL. *sigh* I’ve already predicted that he wouldn’t be able to make it this year for my birthday because he just went back to Penang last week and my birthday falls on a weekday but I can’t help feeling a little sad and disappointed.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter what my friend sent me because what the present is doesn’t mean much to me. It’s the thought that counts and I’m really touched and happy for the early birthday present that I received even though I’m not able to enjoy my present for the time being. Hopefully, as the days proceed nearer to my birthday, I’ll get happier instead of broodier. I’d never wish for anything in my past birthdays except when I was still a child but for this year’s birthday, I just wished that I could celebrate it with my friends and people I care about instead of not really celebrating it like in the past. The last time I ever had a major celebration of my birthday was when I was 9. After that, no one really celebrated my birthday. Every single year after I was 9, my Mum would buy a small cake home to celebrate it with me. As I proceed on to high school, my friends never bother to surprise me with any surprise birthday celebration or even make plans to celebrate it with me even though I spent time to plan a birthday surprise for them. Yes, I was hurt back then, but as time passes by, I started to ignore then pain. But for this year, this year only, I wish to celebrate the joy of it. I wish somebody would come up with some plans to celebrate it with me. But I know it’s gonna be difficult. And it’s only wishful thinking.

I had a lovely surprise and I’m gonna enjoy the feeling for the time being. Hopefully, the feeling lasts til my birthday. Meanwhile, Alen @ Kunbao, thank you for the present and thank you also for being so thoughtful even though I was mean to you for so long. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home