Monday, June 28, 2004

Family

My father's side of the family is a household full of singletons. My uncles and my aunt have never gotten married before. Neither did any of them ever had a relationship before except my 2nd uncle. At least that's what I knew so far. And so any dreams on my Grandmother's side for more grandchildren had to put away since none of them are showing any inclination of getting invovled in a relationship or getting married soon. Until my 5th uncle returned to the family early this year.

My 5th uncle, who happens to be the youngest in the family, had been missing for nearly a decade. He disappeared and cut off all contact with us when he was declared a bankrupt in Singapore. Until this day, I am not really sure what happened 10 long years ago. But during this long period of time, I know how much my Grandmother misses him and how everybody in the family hope that he will at least contact any of us to let us know that he's safe and sound somewhere. Some of our relatives spotted him around in KL and Penang several times and tried to persuade him to come back to the family to avoid anymore heartache for my Grandmother but he never did. ONly after the death of my grandaunt did he come back and since then, he had stayed on and came home to my Grandmother's place every other week. But that isn't all, he brought a surprise back for all of us - his new family. He got married a few years back and last year, his wife gave birth to a lovely baby boy. I'm really happy for him and also my Grandmother and frankly, when I learned of the news, I breathe a sigh of relieve.

I've been the only grandchild for both sides of the family and to boot, I'm also the only child of a single parent, my Mum. My dad passed away 2 months before I was born. Anyway, being the only child and only grandchild plus, the only niece in the family, well at least at my father's side of the family without any more nieces and newphews, I always feel a lot of pressure especially when it comes to my studies. I guess part of the pressure that I felt are actually self inflicted. I always try my best in everything and I do and whenever I fall short of the expectation that I've set for myself, I'll be very disappointed with my self and disgusted at the same time for failing to achieve what I wanted. I don't know why but I've always think and felt that I needed to be better than everybody in things I do even though it's nearly impossible.

SO right now, all the attention is focus on my baby cousin, Adrian. And surprisingly, I'm not jealous or whatsoever. In fact, I myself have been paying a lot of attention to him too. *giggles* He's really cute. And really huge for a one year old. IN fact, we just celebrated his birthday yesterday. He's also very playful and a little cunning to boot. Whenever he did something that's wrong and his mother wanted to scold him, he'll give her an innocent smile and his mother will forget about scolding him in an instant. Now, isn't that cunning or what? And he loves to smile and laugh a lot. *grins* Weird thing is, he doesn't really look like my 5th uncle but instead look exactly like my 2nd uncle. Anyway, it's nice to have some new blood in the family. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home