Monday, November 14, 2005

Expectations?

Whenever you walk into a new relationship with a new partner, what are your expectations of him/her? Do you set a list of expectations for him/her? Do you have a checklist where the relationship is suppose to go according to what you have expected? Expectations...everybody has expectations on themselves. But the moment they enter a relationship, both male and female often set expectations that they expect their partners to follow. Is this the right way to approach a relationship? Or is it wrong?

I have friends, both guys and gals, who set expectations on their partners before they had even formed a solid relationship. Sometimes, the relationship works out. Sometimes not. For me...it's different. From the first moment I started going out on dates and then having steady relationships, I've never set high standards of expectations for my partner. To me, a new relationship is like a clean slate. As the relationship progresses, the slate will be filled with pictures, doodles, scribbles, etc...things that only both me and my partner will experience. When the relationship ends, I will quietly put away that slate and take it out once in while to reminiscence about the past. Oh no, I won't think about the past for long, but I'll take it out and learn from the mistakes that I had made in the relationship. And when I start a new relationship with a new man, I'll take a fresh clean slate and start all over again. I do not bring excess baggage from my previous relationships into my new one. Some of you may think it foolish of me to not have any expectations at all. Well, to say that I have zero expectations would be a lie. But whatever expectations I have are very simple requests because I'm just a simple girl after all.

All I ask from a man is to treat me right, be caring and kind and most importantly, be honest to me. At the same time, I also ask for that very same man to never take me for granted, to never neglect me when I needed him most. I believe that with love, a man will be able to fulfill all these simple expectations I have. The ex did fulfill these simple expectations at the beginning of the relationship. I guess that was how I fall so much in love with him. But as the years passes by, when he realise that my love for him surpasses the love he had for me, he begun to stop trying to fulfill these simple expectations. Yes, he claimed that he loves me and all, but how could a man in love with me ever treat me the way he did? I realise now that as time passes by, I lowered my expectations on him and that was when all hell broke loose.

Aside from the simple expectations, a man got to first make me feel secure when I'm with him. And I don't mean in a physical way only, but also financially and emotionally. If a man could not make me feel secure in any aspect, then what's the point of starting a new relationship fill with fear and insecurity?

Anyway, that's what I feel and believe in. What are your expectations on your partner?

4 Comments:

Blogger enn@j said...

hi there piggy,

I came across your blog from the link in sze zeng's. As I read, my heart goes out for you as and I understand how you must have been struggling.

But someone once said this "Disappointment is not based on what you didn't find but what you expected to find"

Girl, be strong and move on...it takes time but behind every cloud, the sun will shine once again :) There's a better life out there, look up!

I didnt 'die' when the person I love most choose let me go but instead I found better life as time goes by :) So can you!

9:53 AM  
Blogger SATheologies said...

Hi piggy,

Be strong, take courage... do not fear or be dismay... for the Lord will go before thee and His light will show the way.

btw, nice pics you have in ur frienster.

=)

7:13 PM  
Blogger gracieq said...

enn@j: hey there, thanx for visiting my blog. I truly do believe that there is a better life out there because I've already found one. Thanx so much for the encouraging words.

zeng: thanx for your encouragement too. btw, in a picture taking frenzy these days...haha..expect to see more pics in my friendster in the future.

4:25 PM  
Blogger A world that i've seen said...

gal, dun set too high expectation, the highest u look forward, sometimes will get some disappointment in returns. just move on with the flow. Give and take.
Dun plan too precisely, the harder destiny will hit you.
Some man just take us for granted, some just wanna sleep with u coz of physically attraction. some relationships are worth it for us to invest too, everyone get hurts in the relatioship, who don't?
but gain the experience and lesson, make sure dun make the mistake again.
is easy to fall in love with one, but is so difficult to forget one. dun u think so? i been thru 2 disaster one..i get cured and manage to stand up face the fact and reality. i just want a simple life, i just asked for one who caring, understanding, sense of humour, downto earth, gentle, honest, with financial and job stable one..but it's hard to get yeah.. sometimes, singlehood is not a bad thing to consider at the moment. Life is short, life is unpredictable and fragile. just enjoy it to the fullest with no regret! ^o^

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home